Happy Friday, friends!
This week, all churches in the Cal-Pac Annual Conference received word that the bishop is “instructing all of our churches in the California-Pacific Annual Conference not to hold public worship services.” Last night California Gavin Newsom issued a mandatory ‘Stay-at-Home’ order for all Californians and therefore we are suspending all activities until further notice.
What does that mean?
- Our See’s Candy Fundraiser is canceled. Details TBA.
- Our Holy Week and Easter Plans are postponed.
- It means our Choir Cantata is on hold until we can regather.
- It means an amount of adjustment to our church activities, ministries and rethinking how we are to stay in community when we cannot gather together in person. This will call for some creativity and ingenuity.
BUT…Easter will happen! It will be different this year, but it will come on April 12th as planned and we will mark the occasion, although less extravagantly, as a community. Furthermore, when we gather together again, what a wonderful celebration it will be! In fact I believe we will feel resurrection especially meaningfully this year.
- Walnut Valley School District closed all schools until April 20, which includes Spring Break.
- Walnut United Methodist Preschool is now closed per the California Licensing Board. Please keep our teachers, families and staff in your prayers as they deal with these uncertain times.
A Note about Finances:This will be a challenging time financially for our church. As we are not meeting in person for the foreseeable future, we are missing those weeks of in-person offering. For those who pledge and those who make a weekly donation, please send your offering to the church office by mail. We are checking the mail regularly and will be making a weekly deposit. Make your check payable to Walnut UMC and send to:20601 La Puente Road, Walnut CA 91789